Selecting the right headstone for a loved can be a challenging task. In addition to trying to work your way through a very emotional time, there are many decisions that will have to be made along the way. Follow this guide for help with navigating the dos and don’ts of selecting memorial headstones in Phillipsburg, NJ:
- Know the cemetery’s rules: Before you purchase a headstone, make sure you know the rules and regulations the cemetery has in place. The last thing you want to do is spend money on a special headstone for your loved one, only to find out that it doesn’t fit within the scope of the cemetery’s guidelines.
- Complete paperwork in advance: Make sure to follow up with the cemetery on any paperwork that will need to be completed before the headstone is delivered. There will typically be marker authorization or concrete border forms that need to be filed, and asking the cemetery what is needed ahead of time will help the process go smoothly.
- Understanding photography options: If you would like to include a picture of your loved one on their headstone, find out what type of photograph or artwork will be needed. There are various design options to choose from, such as porcelain or laser-etched finishes, or whether images appear in either black and white or in color on the headstone.
- Know the limitations: When selecting a headstone, it is important to select the right material. There are some stones that are naturally softer, and as a result are either too difficult to engrave or will not age well under certain weather conditions. The material will also dictate the shape of the headstone, as not all unique shapes can be completed with certain stones.
- Don’t settle: It is important to know that you are not locked into the headstone options that the cemetery presents, and you shouldn’t feel pressured to settle for something that you aren’t sure about. If you are not able to find what you are looking for through the cemetery, or if your loved one had a special marker already prepared, you can purchase the headstone from any insured monument maker and have them place it in the cemetery of your choice.
Selecting the right memorial headstones in Phillipsburg, NJ is a lasting decision, which means it is worth taking the time to make sure that you have found something that sincerely commemorates your family members. While it can be a daunting task, our team at Phillipsburg Memorial Company is here to help you every step of the way. We have helped many families find the best way to honor their loved ones, and we can help you pay respect to your family member with love as well. Whether you are selecting a memorial headstone for yourself now to make the process easier for your family in the future, or you are trying to find the best way to memorialize your departed loved one, make sure you give us a call today.
Categorised in: Headstone