What Are the Benefits of Cremation? Answers from Your Monument Maker in Phillipsburg, NJ
April 27, 2019
Are you considering your options for burial and memorial services? As a monument maker in Phillipsburg, NJ, we know there are many variations available as you weigh your options. One of these is cremation.
Cremation offers several benefits as well as some drawbacks. If you’re considering cremation, review the following pros and cons to help you decide if this is the best choice for you and your family.
Benefits of Cremation
- Financial concerns: Funerals and all the related services can be quite costly. Cremation offers a more affordable option for those who need it. It eliminates many of the more costly items, such as a casket, gravesite and cemetery fees. There is typically a fee for cremation, but the total cost for this option is usually less than a traditional funeral and burial.
- Viewing concerns: In some situations, family members may be concerned about holding a traditional funeral with an open casket and viewing/visitation times. This may be due to the circumstances surrounding their loved one’s passing. It’s also possible that the deceased expressed wishes not to hold this type of service for them. In these situations, cremation allows friends and family to hold a memorial that celebrates their loved ones’ life rather than focusing on their death.
- Timing concerns: Cremation allows family members more time to make memorial arrangements. There is no rush to hold a funeral or burial service. This provides flexibility, which can be helpful if family and friends must travel from great distances to pay their respects. If needed or desired, a memorial service can be held weeks or even months after the deceased has passed, rather than a few days.
- Location concerns: Cremation also provides flexibility regarding location. If family members move away, they can take an urn with them. With traditional burial sites, loved ones cannot visit the cemetery if they move far away.
- Environmental concerns: Some consider cremation to be an environmentally-friendly option. There is no burial, so no land is disturbed or used up in any way.
Disadvantages of Cremation
- Closure concerns: Some family members prefer to have the opportunity to physically see their loved one and say goodbye at a funeral. With cremation, this opportunity may not be provided. However, it is possible to arrange a viewing service before cremation. This can provide the closure that some loved ones need while still saving on burial costs.
- Urn concerns: What should family members do with the urn? This can be of some concern. If there is not an appropriate place to display or store the cremains, family members may be at a loss as to what is appropriate to do with the urn. If desired, these cremains can be buried in a fashion similar to a traditional burial. A monument maker in Phillipsburg, NJ can create a memorial to mark the site just like they would for a casket burial.
Find Out More
Would you like to learn more about your options for burial and grave markers? Contact the professionals at Phillipsburg Memorial Company. We have been the premier monument maker in Phillipsburg, NJ since 1939. Call, email, or come by our office for your free consultation.
Categorised in: Headstone