How to Plan a Memorial Service
If you’re planning a memorial service for a loved one, you may have a lot of questions. What exactly is the best way to honor them? Did they indicate how they’d like to be honored? Planning a memorial service can be rewarding, but it’s also a stressful time. You need to carefully consider the best way to both respect the deceased and provide a meaningful experience for everyone who attends.
You may be considering the value of specialty memorials in Phillipsburg, NJ as a way to remember your loved one. Here are some ideas on how to take the first steps in planning a memorial service:
- Size and scope of the event: Some memorial services are formal and traditional, while others don’t have a dress code and involve more of a “celebration of life.” Some services are explicitly religious and include numerous ceremonies, whereas others choose a secular approach. Depending on the size of the event, you may want something for a close group of family members, or you may want to invite the whole community. Deciding the nature of the memorial service before you consider other aspects of planning is a smart idea.
- Time: It’s best to schedule memorial services at a time that’s convenient for most people, even if it ends up being a while after the individual passed away. You want to make sure that the key figures in your loved one’s life can be there, which is always challenging. Lock down dates before you book anything.
- Venue: This is where knowing how much you can spend is important. There are low-cost options like private homes and public meeting spaces, but you may want to instead choose a funeral home or church. How many people will be coming also affects what kind of venue you ought to be looking for.
- Guests: Once you have a time and a place booked, along with availability of key people confirmed, then you can begin sending invitations. These can be include personalized letters, as is tradition, or, if your loved one has many friends throughout the region, a newspaper bulletin or Facebook post could let people from far and wide know about the service.
- Speakers and music: Now you’ll want to think about the details of the service. Inviting speakers who can meaningfully address your loved one’s life will make the service engaging. Musical selections are also a popular choice for memorial services.
If you’re looking for a way to commemorate a special person’s life, consider the value of specialty memorials in Phillipsburg, NJ. Phillipsburg Memorial Company has been the premier monument company for the region since 1939. We are family owned and operated and have been providing customers with exceptional service that continues to resonate.
We offer a variety of services, including granite memorials, bronze plaques and cemetery lettering and cleaning. Our reputation for professional service, dependability and craftsmanship are hallmarks of our service we provide to each of our customers. Call, email or come by our office for your free consultation!
Categorised in: Headstone