Memorials: How to Find a Grave
Locating a grave can be a challenging task. Fortunately, adding a memorial headstone in Phillipsburg, NJ can make a grave easier to find in the future. Here’s what you need to know.
How to add a headstone
Partner with a local memorial company to create the perfect memorial to honor your loved one. Even if it has been years since their passing, you can typically add an attractive headstone to mark their resting place.
To add the headstone, you’ll simply select the size, style and lettering for the memorial. A granite monument offers a durable memorial that will last for centuries. It also makes the grave easy to find, since the monument is not easily overgrown and is easy to see.
How to find a grave
If you need to locate a grave, use the following steps. This process will be easiest if a memorial headstone in Phillipsburg, NJ is already in place:
- On-site search: If you know which cemetery is the site of the grave, you can visit the cemetery in person and locate the grave. Start your search on one side of the cemetery and follow a regular pattern to efficiently search the grounds for the grave.
- Online search: The cemetery may offer a map on its website. This may indicate the names of family plots or individual graves. Even if these details aren’t included, a map will help you remain oriented at the cemetery as you perform your search on foot.
- In-person research: A cemetery sexton is in charge of overseeing the cemetery grounds. Check with this professional for information that might help you locate the grave you seek. The sexton may have burial records or other knowledge of the cemetery that will help you in your search.
- Phone search: If the cemetery is privately owned by a funeral home, you can contact the funeral home directly for assistance with finding the grave. Ask to speak with the funeral director, who can guide your search based on their records.
- Records research: If you’re not sure which cemetery to search, look through records for information about the person. Check birth and death records, marriage certificates, property information and any other details that could indicate where they might be buried.
- Military research: If the person was a veteran, check websites that are dedicated to these individuals. Specific sites are available that record the resting places of men and women who have passed away after serving in the military.
- Confirmation: Once you have found the grave, confirm that it is the correct one. Check the dates as well as the name, since many names are often duplicated even within one cemetery. This is another reason why memorial headstones in Phillipsburg, NJ are important.
If you need assistance creating a memorial headstone that will make your loved one’s grave easier to find, contact Phillipsburg Memorial Company. We offer a variety of services that include granite memorials, bronze plaques and cemetery lettering and cleaning. We have a reputation for professional service, dependability and craftsmanship. Call, email or come by our office for your free consultation. We look forward to assisting you.
Categorised in: Headstone